Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Equal Before the Law: How Iowa Led Americans to Marriage Equality by Tom Witosky & Marc Hansen

Setting aside my religious beliefs, I was deeply moved by the arguments and stories depicted in this book. I agree with the message that every one is afforded the equal protection of the laws no matter what case it might be.

This book tells the story of how the case of Varnum vs. Brien came about. This is the case when the Iowa Supreme Court declared that same-sex marriage is allowed in that state. The authors of the book carefully laid out the arguments and stories that lead to the famous decision. While reading the book, I tried to get a copy of the case online so it will aid in deeper understanding on how the Court came with its decision. I would say that the decision was sound, intelligent, and its arguments logically follows what the Iowa constitution states. Despite knowing that this decision would lead to difficult and challenging lives ahead, the justices independently made the call and promulgate the final verdict. For me that was a true courage.

The book, while it supports same-sex marriage, gave a balanced view of the issue. Not only that the side of opponents were clearly went side by side with the proponents of marriage equality, their background stories were also given in an objective and professional way. I've read some books who disparage the proponents of the other side of the issue by downgrading their arguments and attacking their personalities. This book gave space for the other side and respect them in all description.

Perhaps this objectivity or balanced presentation made me impressed with this book. It made me see the issue in a whole new light. It made me realize how hard it is for the members of the LGBT communities around the world to live every day not to mention fight for their rights. Moreover, it made me think how hard it is for these fellow humans to deal with their every day of their lives living in authoritarian regimes in some parts of the world. It made me remember Alan Turing, whose sad fate was caused by inability of the society to see him from who he really is: a gay whose work is the reason why we have computers nowadays not to mention that his machine was instrumental for Allies to win World War II in 1945.

This book is also about the story of the judges who choose to face the criticisms due to their unpopular decision. This is a story of the independence of judiciary in the face of political and social norms. Every day judges are facing this kind of situations in small and large scale.

This is a good book. For someone who has a traditional beliefs in marriage, I find this book worth reading especially from legal point of view. Now I understand the issue of same-sex marriage better because this book gave me the legal, political, and judicial lens for it; not just seeing it from purely religious point of view.

If you want to challenge your views, read this book.